4.11.2006



4.02 - Amsterdam

This morning I went with the Austrians and the Canadian over to the Van Gogh Museum. I never knew very much about his life, or had seen anything other than the more famous of his paintings, but I was thoroughly impressed.



Afterwards, having not yet eaten all day, I went to an empty Mexican cafe run by an Egyptian man who spoke Dutch to me. In the northwestern part of the city, in a more historically working class neighborhood away from the tourist shops and restaurants, Otis Redding was playing on the radio, and I ate a large burrito. After a while, a man from Amsterdam and his Northern Dutch wife, old friends of the owner, came in, the three of them sitting down to a friendly conversation. Slowly, we all began to sing along to the music.



They invited me to their table, and bought me a beer. In English we talked about music and politics and culture, about Amsterdam, the Netherlands, the EU, and the US. He loved the city and told me where I might be able to find a job if I wanted to stay. I could see myself staying here, but it also seems a bit intense with the red-light district and all the smokeshops. It seems a bit too touristy. I left the restaurant, went back to the hostel to gather my bag, and say goodbye to my friends, and headed for the train station, and a late night arrival in Brussels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a lucky bloke. The best education you'll ever get. I know you're in Berlin now but if you find an English bookstore buy Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London to read while you travel. If you can't find it go here:

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/authors/O/OrwellGeorge/prose/DownandOut/

bp said...

hey john, I'll check it out. there are some really good used bookstores here in berlin. i've been reading white noise, which i like a lot.