4.12.2006


4.03 - Brussels
In every city there's a conglomerate of closely related experiences which intersect to shape a somewhat vague, amorphous, culture; a culture which in turn shapes the range of individual experiences within it. Inside of every city, there are an infinite number of cities: accumulate experiences thrown together, by chance and determination, into lives.


Sometimes I'll go to the monuments and take pictures of the tourists taking pictures. I still like the monuments, taking pictures of them, and reading about their history. But it’s also fun to notice the intersections: where a four-hundred year old church sits beside a sexually suggestive builboard; where an old woman in a shawl asking you for change stands between them; where a younger, wealthier woman goes inside the church to hear the music, or see the history, and returns outside to jarring images of what she’s supposed to be, or look like.


I like to walk the back streets and stumble into courtyards in the poorer parts of a city, to notice the laundry drying on the lines. Today I ate chocolate and waffles until my belly hurt. Tonight I'm going to take the overnight train to Munich.

No comments: